California Standards for History
5.4 Students understand the political, religious, social, and economic institutions that evolved in the colonial era.
- Understand the influence of location and physical setting on the founding of the original 13 colonies, and identify on a map the locations of the colonies and of the American Indian nations already inhabiting these areas.
- Identify the major individuals and groups responsible for the founding of the various colonies and the reasons for their founding (e.g., John Smith, Virginia; Roger Williams, Rhode Island; William Penn, Pennsylvania; Lord Baltimore, Maryland; William Bradford, Plymouth; John Winthrop, Massachusetts).
- Describe the religious aspects of the earliest colonies (e.g., Puritanism in Massachusetts, Anglicanism in Virginia, Catholicism in Maryland, Quakerism in Pennsylvania).
- Identify the significance and leaders of the First Great Awakening, which marked a shift in religious ideas, practices, and allegiances in the colonial period, the growth of religious toleration, and free exercise of religion.
- Understand how the British colonial period created the basis for the development of political self-government and a free-market economic system and the differences between the British, Spanish, and French colonial systems.
- Describe the introduction of slavery into America, the responses of slave families to their condition, the ongoing struggle between proponents and opponents of slavery, and the gradual institutionalization of slavery in the South.
- Explain the early democratic ideas and practices that emerged during the colonial period, including the significance of representative assemblies and town meetings.
If You Lived In Colonial Times by Ann Mcgovern and June Otani ISBN-13: 978-0590451604
Work in Colonial America (Colonial America) ISBN-13: 978-0516234953
School in Colonial America (Welcome Books) ISBN-13: 978-0516234946
Clothes in Colonial America (Welcome Books) ISBN-13: 978-0516234908
Food in Colonial America (Colonial America) ISBN-13: 978-0516234915
Fun and Games in Colonial America (Colonial America) ISBN-13: 978-0516234922
Homes in Colonial America (Welcome Books) ISBN-13: 978-0516239330
Colonial Times from A to Z ISBN-13: 978-0865054073